Do you want to get a perfectly shaped nose? Or are you having breathing issues because of a deviated nasal septum? If either is the case, then nose plastic surgery might be the solution for your concerns. Nose Plastic Surgery, commonly known as “nose job” and medically known as “Rhinoplasty,” is the procedure for reshaping the nose for aesthetic or medical purposes. Nose job is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures done worldwide.
This procedure is performed very delicately because the aim of this surgery is to revamp the nose to the patient’s demand and preferred appearance. It is crucial to keep the functionality intact to avoid any breathing related issues later. Plastic surgeon is also concerned with keeping the procedure completely coherent with the patient’s skin type, their facial structure and composition.
This article provides you with all the essential information you need to know before your nose plastic surgery.
Reasons For Getting Nose Plastic Surgery
There is a wide spread misconception and stigma around getting a “nose job” as people only consider its need for cosmetic purposes. At the same time, there are many other reasons a person could be getting a nose job.
Few common reasons for getting nose plastic surgery are
- To repair the nose after an injury or trauma.
- To correct breathing difficulties caused either by a broken nose, nasal obstruction, or deviated nasal septum.
- To rectify any congenital disability of the nose.
- If the patient is unhappy with their nose shape, it can also be used for cosmetic purposes and change the shape to provide contentment.
Types Of Nose Plastic Surgery
The following are types of nose plastic surgery depending upon the patient’s demand:
1. Aesthetic Enhancement
Reduction Rhinoplasty: Reduction Rhinoplasty is a type of nose job to change or alter the size, shape, or angle of the nose. It is considered a cosmetic procedure to enhance and elevate the features of the patient according to their liking.
The procedure is used to alter these nasal characteristics:
- Round nose tip
- Large or asymmetrical nostrils
- Wide nose
- Excess fat on the sides of the nose
- Unsymmetrical or disproportionate noses
There are many types of reduction rhinoplasty:
- For Wide Nasal Structure: In this procedure, the surgeon slightly cuts off or rims the cartilage to decrease its size and make it appear thinner.
- To Remove Excess Fat Around The Nose: The fat around the nose tip is removed to make the nose appear skinnier and pointier.
- For The Wide Alar Base: The alar base is the part of the base of the nose which plays a significant role in its appearance. This method is for people with a wide alar base. The surgeon makes an incision and removes the skin around the alar base to make the nose appear thinner.
Medically Necessary Treatments
Nose plastic surgery is also used for improving nose functions and breathing problems associated with several conditions like a deviated septum. Nose plastic surgery to correct the deviated septum is also known as nasal septoplasty, which has the advantage of improving nose function and restoring cosmetic concerns altogether.
Deviated Nose Surgery: This is a medical procedure used to treat deviated septum that only affects the nose tip and appearance but also causes major breathing problems, severe headaches, and rhinitis. A deviated nose can develop due to an injury, trauma to the nose, or it can be congenital.
In this procedure, the surgeon straightens the nose bone and the cartilage between the two nostrils. It corrects the functional and aesthetic defects at the same time.
The ideal candidates for revisional rhinoplasty are those who are unsatisfied with their previous plastic surgery results, whose nose did not heal correctly, or if they had an inflammation on the operated site. Revisional rhinoplasty can take place after 6 months up to one year, but if it’s a case of inflammation, it is better to have the revisional rhinoplasty as soon as possible. Revisional rhinoplasty can correct the following:
- Nose tip deformed by implant
- Deviated nose
- Upturned nose due to contracture
- Transparent implant
- Too low or too high nose ridge
Nose Plastic Surgery Procedure
A rhinoplasty can be done in a hospital, a clinic, or an outpatient surgical facility. In this procedure, your surgeon uses general anesthesia. After you are given general anesthesia, you’ll be unconscious for the entire surgery. General anesthesia is introduced to the patient by an IV line, or they can also be made to inhale it in gaseous form.
Once you are unconscious, your surgeon will make incisions and start to the procedure. This procedure usually takes one to three hours, but it can take longer depending upon your nasal defect or the complexity of the surgery.
Recovery From Nose Plastic Surgery
After surgery, your surgeon may place a splint or a hard cast on your nose to help retain the shape of the nose. You will be monitored after your procedure at least for a few hours before you are allowed to leave the hospital. If the procedure is complicated, you might need to stay in the hospital for a day or two. You’ll need someone to drop you home because the anesthesia might still stay in your body system for a while before subsiding totally, making you unfit to drive.
You will also experience swelling and bruising on your nose and around the nose, especially under the eyes. This is normal and to stop the bleeding and reduce the swelling, you will have to keep your head elevated from your chest at all times. The doctor might have put cotton or gauze below your nose to control any oozing, which might make you feel congested. During the initial recovery, some people experience severe nausea, vomiting, and a sore throat but that should subside after a day.
You might have dissolvable stitches, which means they will absorb on their own without needing to take them out. But if you have non-dissolvable stitches, you will need to go to your doctor and have them removed from your nose 1 week after the procedure.
After the surgery, you might experience headaches and puffiness on your face. For these reasons, your doctor may prescribe you a mild painkiller. Your doctor may tell you to avoid running, doing any strenuous exercise, swimming, blowing your nose, laughing, smiling, and other excessive facial expressions during the initial recovery period. Follow-up care is critical after nose plastic surgery or rhinoplasty. Make sure to keep up with your appointments so your surgeon can check on your recovery milestones.
Cost Of Nose Plastic Surgery
This is an expensive surgery, but its cost may differ from person to person depending upon the expertise of your surgeon, duration, and complexity of your procedure. Typically, the cost of a nose job in Singapore is around $6000-$20,000.
Health Insurance Coverage
Health insurance is required to provide coverage for you if the procedure you’re having is strictly for medical purposes like an injury to the nose or any defect which may cause breathing issues. However, if you’re having nose plastic surgery for aesthetic and cosmetic reasons, you are not eligible for health insurance coverage.
If you have a functional issue with the nose and are getting enhancement surgery too, you can ask your surgeon to do both procedures and adjust the respective objectives in just a single session.
Benefits Of Nose Plastic Surgery
The following are some benefits of getting a nose job:
- Nose plastic reshaping/surgery can elevate and enhance your facial feature by making it more correspondent and symmetrical.
- Nose reshaping has also shown vast positive psychological effects on their patients struggling with body image and self-esteem by boosting their confidence about their appearance while making them feel secure and comfortable in their skin.
- Septoplasty or better known as functional rhinoplasty can correct breathing difficulties.
- The procedure feels safe and comfortable for the patient as it is done under general anesthesia for better safety, comfort and experience.
- It is an outpatient procedure meaning that the patients don’t have to stay admitted in the hospital post-op and leave on the same day after the surgery.
Some Cons Of Nose Plastic Surgery
- Nose plastic surgery is a significant and extensive surgery that can cause notable bruising and swelling on the nose and under the eyes for the first 14-15 days post-procedure.
- For the first few days of the post-procedure, some patients suffer nausea, vomiting, and a sore throat, along with pain and pressure on their nose and under the eyes during the initial recovery.
- The patient has to wear a hard cast on their nose for several days after the surgery to keep the bones in the correct position while healing, which can make their nose feel congested and can be quite unpleasant.
The decision to opt for nose plastic surgery can be influenced by a couple of reasons. People suffering from non-functional nasal structures can opt for this procedure to help improve breathing issues. While other may opt for the nose job just for aesthetic goals. Whatever is the reason behind your decision, just make sure you are fully aware of the pre- and post-op instructions from your surgeon. Discuss your case with the surgeon in detail and explain your goals and expectations clearly. Nose surgery can help you with improving your breathing issues as well as enhancing facial features and boosting your confidence!
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.