Breast implant surgery is becoming more common in Singapore and women opt for it for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, it is for correcting any kind of physical asymmetry in the breasts, or it could be done for creating breasts that feel fuller than before.
Whatever the reason, one of the deciding factors for many is the price of breast enlargement in Singapore, which primarily depends on the breast implants cost as well as the professional fees involved.
So, what is breast augmentation surgery, how is it performed, and what other factors can affect the overall expense the patients have to bear besides the cost of breast implants in Singapore? Let’s get into those details.
What Is Breast Augmentation Surgery?
Breast Augmentation refers to a surgical procedure used for placing implants within the patient’s breasts to create fuller bosoms by enlarging and enhancing them. The surgery is primarily aimed at changing the size, shape and symmetry of the breasts for making them look better.
When it comes to the breast implants cost, there are several contributing factors that should be taken into consideration. Generally, they include:
- Breast enhancement techniques
- Breast implant cost which differs across implant brands
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anaesthetist’s fee
- Operating room costs
- Medications & post-surgical garments
Other factors may also affect the overall price of breast enlargement in Singapore and we’ll discuss them in detail here too.
Breast Enlargement Techniques
There are a couple of breast enlargement options available. Depending on patient preference, they can either choose to go with breast enlargement with implants or breast augmentation with fat grafting. Here’s a detailed look at both options.
1. Breast Enlargement Surgery With Implants
This procedure requires implant placement under the chest muscle of the patient or behind their breast tissue. Implants are the sacs filled either with silicone or saline (sterile saltwater). General anesthesia is usually administered to the patient for carrying out the procedure.
Different techniques are used to place the breast implants at their designated position. The difference is actually in the position of the incision which can be made:
- Along the breast fold – Inframammary
- Around the nipple – Periareolar
- Under the arm – Transaxillary
2. Breast Enlargement Surgery Using Patient’s Own Fat
Often referred to as breast augmentation with fat grafting, this surgical procedure relies on liposuction for extracting fat from different body parts of the body and injecting it into the breasts for volume enhancement. It’s a natural alternative to breast implants for patients who want a slight increase in their breast size or prefer to achieve enhancement results without implants.
Common Breast Implant Incision Techniques
There are three common incision techniques used for breast implant surgery in Singapore. Let’s discuss each of them one by one:
1. Inframammary Incision – Along The Breast Fold
This is the most commonly used method. The incision is made on the underside of the breast, into the breast’s natural fold. The surgeon uses this opening for placing the implant.
- Implant placement can be both above the pectoral muscles or below them
- Suitable for insertion of large implants
- A recommended choice for revision surgeries where a major correction is required
- Scarring may take slightly longer to blend into the surrounding skin
2. Periareolar Incision – Around The Nipple
In this technique, the surgeon makes the incision along the areola – the dark area around the nipple. Once the incision is made, the surgeon will create a pocket to place the breast implant above the pectoral muscle. This incision method is used when the areola’s diameter is at least 3.5 cm or more.
- The scar isn’t noticeable
- Results in minimal pain in comparison to other techniques
- The patients can move their arms easily after the surgery
- Shape and size or areola can be augmented in the same procedure
- Nipple sensation may be affected after the surgery
3. Transaxillary Incision – Under The Arm
In this technique, the surgeon makes an incision along the armpit crease of the patient. A pocket is created behind the nipple for the placement of breast implants.
- Armpit incisions are usually very small
- No noticeable scar on the breasts
- Breast-feeding is possible after the surgery because mammary glandular tissue is not damaged
- Higher bleeding risk
- Implant malposition risk
- More time consuming compared to other techniques
Types of Breast Implants
At Dream Plastic Surgery Singapore, we only use silicone implants as they are safe, durable, and effective in achieving desired results. There are different types of breast implants available today including:
- Adapts to the patient’s natural position and shape depending on their natural movement. It becomes round in the lying position while transforming into teardrop when in the standing position
- Appropriate for patients with any frame or breast size
- Suitable to place below or above the pectoral muscles
- Imitates the natural breast shape, giving patients natural contours and slope. It’s lighter on top and carries more volume towards the bottom.
- Appropriate for patients who are petite and have very little breast tissue
- Suitable to place below the pectoral muscles
- Makes the cleavage look fuller
- Appropriate for patients who have some breast tissue to work with
- Suitable to place below or above the pectoral muscles
It is recommended that one should opt for micro-textured implants because they offer better safety and have a lower possibility of complications after the surgery. They offer better lift, feel, shape, and longevity as compared to smooth, round implants. These implants offer lower capsular contracture rates as well.
Undeniably, the breast implant costs differ depending on the brand one opts for. The better and more popular the brand, the higher the breast implants in Singapore would cost . Some top-quality options include:
- Mentor Breast Implants
- Motiva Breast Implants
- Natrelle Breast Implants
Finding The Right Surgeon For Your Breast Implant Surgery
When concerned about the overall price of breast enlargement in Singapore, one must ensure that they should still pick the best surgeon for the job. Remember that cheapest isn’t always the best when it comes to plastic surgeons and if the choice goes wrong here, it can seriously affect the end results of the surgery, it may even cause the overall costs to spike up.
There are multiple factors that should be taken into consideration to pick the right surgeon to carry out the breast implant surgery. They are all described below.
1. Board Certification
Make sure that the plastic surgeon is certified by the Singapore Association of Plastic Surgeons and has proper accreditation under the Ministry Of Health.
Usually, board certification reflects the surgeon has proven training in their field of operation. In addition, surgeons usually have a portfolio highlighting their experience and accomplishments in plastic surgery. Double check to see if they have the necessary experience to carry out the surgery and how good the results they delivered on their past surgeries were.
3. Peer Recognition
It’s a great way of determining a surgeon’s skill and credibility in their respective field. Different types of peer recognition indicators are there which can clearly tell the patients if a surgeon has legit peer recognition or not. For instance, if they’re asked to deliver lectures to other surgeons at regional or national meetings, that’s certainly a positive indicator of their credibility. Similarly, if they’ve been voted for a leadership position at a national society by their peers, they are certainly credible. Different awards and accreditations also reflect peer recognition.
4. Consultation Thoroughness
When consulting with a plastic surgeon before the breast augmentation surgery, the patients get a chance to build a relationship with their surgeon and set certain pre-surgery expectations. Critically observe the thoroughness of the consultation to determine how interested the surgeon is in delivering great breast augmentation results and customer satisfaction. They’d review a patient’s medical history and understand existing conditions besides discussing the risks and benefits with the patients.
5. Track Record
Check to find out if the surgeon has a good track record in the past. See if any malpractice suits have been filed against them and whether they were convicted or not. A clean record means they may be a good choice.
Some other factors one should be considering when picking the right plastic surgeon for their breast augmentation surgery include:
- Before and After Pictures
- Reviews From Past Patients
- Word of Mouth
- Facility Accreditation
Anesthesia Options For Breast Enlargement Surgery In Singapore
Plastic surgeons can perform breast augmentation surgery under general or local anaesthesia. The safest option for most of the patients, however, is general anaesthesia as it helps ensure a protected airway. Heavy sedation may cause the breathing to slow down.
It’s hard to place an implant under the muscle when the patient is awake because it can lead to complications. First, the muscle can’t be numbed. Second, the pain caused would result in high blood pressure and can lead to increased breathing when the surgery is being carried out.
If you’ve chosen a reputable plastic surgeon who cares more for patient safety than anything else, they’d recommend going with general anaesthesia over other sedation or anaesthesia options.
Other Factors That Affect The Pricing Of The Procedure
Some other factors that might cause the price of breast augmentation in Singapore to go up may include:
- Consultation Fees
- Breast Surgery
- Day Surgery Fees
- Government Service Charge
- Review Sessions After Surgery
Picking the best breast implants
Regardless of the price of breast enlargement in Singapore, one must keep in mind that a breast augmentation surgery is a lifetime procedure and satisfaction is more important than the cost. Pick the best implants, keeping the breast implants cost in a reasonable range, and get the procedure done by a credible and experienced plastic surgeon in Singapore.