Eye Bag Removal Surgery
& Fat Repositioning
1 – 2 Hours
10 – 14 Days
7 Days Post-op
What Is Eye Bag Removal Surgery (Lower Blepharoplasty)?
Eye bag removal surgery also known as bower blepharoplasty is a cosmetic surgery procedure which is used for getting rid of any loose skin, excessive fat, or wrinkles in the lower eye area which can address both eye bag and lower lid skin excess and laxity.
Eye bags usually form due to the accumulation of excess fat under one’s eyes. They may also form when the support of skin and the orbital septum gets weakened. Eye bags are a common cosmetic issue which makes an individual look older, tired, and more fatigued. Aging is one inevitable and major cause of eye bags formation, but many individuals also get them due to genetic reasons. Nevertheless, they can be reversed effectively with eye bag removal surgery or lower blepharoplasty.
Individuals with milder eye bags can consider non-surgical eye bag removal treatments.
Who Needs Eye Bag Removal Surgery (Lower Blepharoplasty)?
Under eye fat removal is recommended for individuals with:
- Bulging under-eye bags.
- Sagging and wrinkled skin under the eye.
- Tear trough depression.
- Dark circles that are visible even when covered in makeup.
Types of Eye Bag Surgery Techniques
1. Transconjunctival Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty)
While performing eye bag removal surgery or lower blepharoplasty, the surgeon removes fat tissue through the inner part of lower eyelids. This procedure does not leave any visible scars on the patient’s face.
2. Incisional Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty)
In this eye bag surgery method, an incision is hidden along the lower lash line to remove excess fat tissue and skin. This results in a more even, less wrinkled and tauter appearance on the under-eye area.
Which Eye Bag Removal Procedure Best Suits You?
Here is a comparison of the benefits of both the eye bag surgery techniques. Find out what concerns each technique can address.
Transconjunctival Lower Blepharoplasty Technique Suitability And Benefits
This technique makes an appropriate choice for individuals with:
- Early signs of formation of eye bags
- Mild or moderate puffiness
- No excessive skin under their eye area
- Good skin elasticity at a young age
Benefits of Transconjunctival Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty):
- Leaves no visible scars
- Better preserves the patient’s eye shape
- Offers faster recovery
- Causes less trauma around the patient’s eyes
- Causes less swelling and bruising
Incisional Lower Blepharoplasty Technique Suitability And Benefits
This technique is appropriate for individuals with:
- Moderate puffiness
- Dark circles which can’t be covered up even by make up
- Excessive skin and wrinkles with the need of skin tightening
Benefits of Incisional Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty):
- Helps remove excess skin as well as the fat causing bulge
- Can achieve more drastic skin tightening results to give smoother under-eye contour
- Effectively addresses tear trough depression issues
- Effectively treats eye bag conditions of more serious nature
Comparison of Dream’s Eye Bag Surgery Techniques
Here is a quick summary on the most common eye bag removal surgery (lower blepharoplasty) techniques.
Transconjunctival Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty)
Candidate: younger patients with slight bulge
Procedure Time: 1 hour
Anaesthesia: Light sedation
Recovery period: 7 – 10 days
Stitch Removal: 7 days after procedure
Incisional Eye Bag Removal (Lower Blepharoplasty)
Candidate: individuals with moderate bulge and tear trough depression with skin laxity problems
Procedure Time: 1hour 30 mins – 2 hours
Anaesthesia: Light sedation
Recovery period: 10 – 14 days
Stitch Removal: 7 days after procedure
While the above eye bag surgery techniques can help with mild to moderate eye bag conditions, individuals who present a combination of concerns such as severe eye bag condition, excessive loose skin and hollowness on the lower eye and cheek area may require Eye Bag Removal with Under Eye Fat Repositioning.
What is under eye fat repositioning surgery?
Under eye fat repositioning or eye bag surgery (lower blepharoplasty) with fat repositioning is a surgical procedure that is used for removing eye bags and correct sagging skin under the eyes. The procedure also fills up the sunken area and improve wrinkles under the eyes that are formed due to fat removal, resulting in a younger and brighter look. Excess fat is removed and repositioned in this process to correct that groove under the eyebag. During the procedure, the eyebag gets flattened and it corrects any outward bulge. The procedure also involves removal of any excess skin while tightening the lower eyelid upwards for creating a smooth and taut contour.
Who needs eye bag surgery with fat repositioning?
Anyone with eyebags under their eyes can go for eye bags surgery. Individuals with sagging skin in their lower eyelids and a groove becoming prominent are the best candidates for eye bag surgery with fat repositioning.
The procedure is appropriate for individuals with:
- Significant excess fat in lower eyelids
- Uneven accumulation of fat just under the eyes forming multiple eye bags
- Deep grooves under the eyes
- Visible blood vessels below the eyes
- Dark circles formed due to sunken areas that lack enough fat
- Recurred eye bags after surgical correction in the past
Surgery procedure steps
Removing any excessive skin and redistributing and repositioning fat helps in rejuvenating the face while lending a more youthful look. Here are the steps that the surgeon will follow while performing under eye fat repositioning surgery.
Advantages Over Other Eye Bag Removal Techniques
Take a quick look why Fat Repositioning is a better option compared to other eye bag removal techniques.
- Addresses skin aging issues across three different layers
- Tightens and removes excessive skin
- Helps with even fat redistribution to fill in any hollow areas in lower eyelid
- Lifts and tightens muscles on the are under the eye
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Improves appearance by removing dark circles
- Creates a smoother and taut under eye contour
- Gives better and long lasting results as compared to other techniques used for eye bag removal
If you are considering your options for eye bag surgery with fat repositioning, get in touch today. We will answer all your queries and address any concerns you may have regarding the procedure.
Planning to get eye bag removal surgery (lower blepharoplasty) at Dream Singapore and wanting to know eye bag removal Singapore cost, and you have questions in mind? Contact our medical team for more information about eye bag removal price in Singapore.
Contact us at +65 6871 8888 or send us a message through our enquiry form to get in touch. We will guide you through every step of the process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Eye Bag Removal Surgery
How Can I Get Rid Of The Dark Circles Underneath My Eyes?
Dark circles are the result of different types of conditions including:
- fat pad in the lower eyelid
- bulging of the lower eyelid
- hyperpigmentation in the eyelid skin (brown pigment)
As there are different causes for dark circles, the treatment methods are also different. In cases of hyperpigmentation, non-invasive laser treatments can help to lighten the discolouration.
On the other hand, if it is due to a fat pad or bulging of the lower eyelid then eye bag surgery treatment will be more suitable.
Can A History Of Bad Scars Interfere With My Surgical Outcomes?
Skin on the facial area and body area is slightly different and so is its healing.
Previously pierced skin (pierced ears) can give you an idea of how your body will respond to the eye bag removal surgery. The facial region is a sensitive area. The good thing is that it is replete with numerous blood vessels so healing is better as compared to other parts of the body.
You should show any previous scars (such as keloid scars) to the doctor at the time of consultation. The plastic surgeon will then provide you with a realistic assessment of the healing potential after eyelid surgery. For individuals who have a history of abnormal scarring, the likelihood of such outcomes can be reduced with the use of specific medications.
Are There Any Postoperative Care Instructions For Eye Bag Removal?
Yes, you can speed up the healing process by following these steps:
- Eye drops may be used after the surgery or prescribed for use over the next few days after surgery. The eye drops may cause temporary blurring of the vision. The blurry sight is a temporary state caused by the ointment applied by the surgeon to lubricate the area. This blurring resolves on its own and doesn’t need any treatment.
- You should get proper rest to allow the body to recover
- Keep your head in an elevated position when resting
- Use cold compression and ice packs on the treated site to reduce swelling
- Gentle cleanse the incision and avoid vigorous rubbing. Apply topical medication as advised by the surgeon
- Avoid hectic physical activities or heavy lifting for at least one month after surgery. Such activities increase blood flow to the eyes and may interfere with recovery.
- Avoid watching the TV or book-reading or any other activity that might cause drying of the eye
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight. Use sunglasses when going out in the sun.
Can Any Dietary Modification Help In Healing After An Eye Bag Removal Procedure?
Yes, following an ideal diet is extremely important. The ideal diet following an eye bag removal surgery is discussed below:
- Try consuming a liquid diet the next day after surgery to avoid major movement of the facial muscles
- Consume only soft, easily chewable food items for at least a couple of days after surgery
- Have a balanced diet with the right proportions of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and minerals
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water
- To avoid post-surgical constipation add some fibrous fruits such as watermelon, avocados, etc. to the diet
In addition to the dietary modifications, you can adopt these lifestyle changes to live a better life after operation:
- Abstain from alcoholic beverages for 3 weeks post-procedure as it may lead to complications such as fluid retention
- Avoid smoking as it can delay the healing process
- Take the prescribed medicines on time
- Do not use drugs such as aspirin unless your surgeon approves
Are There Any Side Effects Associated With Eye Bag Removal?
A surgical procedure is an invasive procedure. However good the procedure is performed, there are still some common side effects to every surgical procedure. The complications of eye bag removal are temporary and easily manageable. The side effects include:
- Swelling and bruising
- Infection can occur
- Bleeding (very rarely)
- Scarring (due to incisions being made)
How To Manage These Side Effects?
You can use doctor-prescribed ointments and medications to subside facial swelling and bruising. Scarring relies on the skill of the surgeon. However, ointments can reduce scar formation.
You can take over-the-counter analgesics (pain medications) for pain management.
You can simply avoid bleeding by keeping your head elevated during the rest periods and by avoiding large movements of your facial muscles. If it occurs, consult your surgeon.
In case of wound infection, revisit the hospital and discuss the condition with your surgeon.
Is It Difficult To Manage The Recovery After The Procedure?
The recovery process is gradual and easy to manage as long as the patient follows the post-procedure home care instructions. Swelling and bruising are present in several cases but the pain is rarely experienced. By following the postoperative instructions, you can allow better and quicker healing.
What Are The Expected Final Results?
The final results of the surgery vary from one individual to another. However, the improvements in the eyelids is easily notable immediately after a surgery. Postoperative swelling kicks in soon after the surgery and continues to peak on the 3rd or 4th day. That may cause some discoloration and distort the final results. At the end of 7 to 10 day period, majority of the swelling and bruising should have subsided. Results will look more natural and the contours under eye will look much smoother.
The remaining swelling tend to take a longer time to subside. Therefore, the final results of the eye bag removal surgery are seen 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery.
Can I Shower Immediately After An Eye Bag Removal Surgery?
Showering on the same day of surgery is not recommended. Most surgeons will advise patients to showering on the next day instead. You may use shampoo for hair washing but be cautious to avoid soapy water from coming into contact with the incision site. After showering, gently pat the incision site dry with a clean cloth. Avoid rubbing the incisions as it may cause the sutures to come loose.
What If I Don’t Want Surgery? Are There Any Other Options?
Lower eyelid surgery is regarded as the best and long-term solution. However, if you do not want to go under the knife, you can benefit from other less invasive procedures which include:
The fillers are injected into volume deficient areas in the skin. In this case, the fillers are injected into the lower eyelid to fill in the hollowness and conceal eye bags. It can also lighten dark circles.
Some commonly used dermal fillers include Juverderm and Restylane.
Botox is a famous brand name for the neurotoxin released by botulinum bacteria. The toxin is injected into the eyelids to soften the wrinkles around eyes which improves the dark circles.
Laser skin treatments can also be used alone or along with other eye bag treatments and surgery to treat dark circles.