Liposuction is a very popular and widely performed procedure around the world. Although it is considered safe and is not generally associated with overnight hospital stays, liposuction is still a surgical procedure and has its protocols. You must comply with all those pre-operative protocols associated with any surgical procedure when opting for liposuction.
This article will highlight some of the most important things you should avoid before undergoing liposuction.
What To Avoid When Undergoing Liposuction?
Before The Procedure
1. Avoid Altering Your Weight Before The Procedure
After you are done with consultation sessions and are preparing for the surgery, you might think of shedding some extra pounds for the surgery to achieve better surgical outcomes. On the contrary, your surgery’s final results will be negatively impacted if you lose weight before the procedure, particularly if you shed a lot of pounds.
Thus, you should avoid extreme ways of losing weight like crash diets or elimination diets. Going overboard to lose weight will not only result in a malnourished body before the surgery, but it will also reduce your post-surgical recovery potential. It will significantly increase the risk of weight gain after the surgery.
2. Avoid Giving Ambiguous Or Fake Health History
When consulting your plastic surgeon, you should always give an accurate account of your medical history. This includes:
- History of any past medical condition
- Any previous surgical procedures
- Any medications that you’re taking
- The desired outcomes that you want
In case of giving a fake or ambiguous medical history, your surgeon may not be able to formulate the most effective surgical plan for you, which will not only impact the final outcomes of your surgical procedure but may also be dangerous for the post-operative recovery time with unnecessary complications. You should honestly answer the questions asked by your clinician and provide authentic details.
3. Avoid Using Conflicting Medicines
For at least a week or two before the surgery, you will need to follow the instructions given by your surgeon strictly. Your clinician might instruct you to stop some of the medicines that you are currently using. Some medicines and even supplements can cause complications after the surgery, such as poor healing, bleeding, and hypertension. These medications include:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, aspirin, and others
- Supplements and vitamins, especially Vitamin E
- Certain birth control pills
- Some herbal therapies
4. Avoid Smoking Before Surgery
Smoking is not only dangerous for your lungs but also has other profound health implications. If smoking is not stopped prior to surgery, it can increase the risk of postoperative complications. These risks include delayed healing and excessive bleeding. This occurs because smoking constricts the blood vessels, decreasing the blood flow. The reduced blood circulation at the surgery site delays the process of healing, which prolongs the recovery period.
Avoid smoking for at least one month before your surgery. This will help prevent any post-surgical complications. Additionally, do not resume smoking for at least a month postoperatively.
5. One Day Before Surgery
One or two days before the surgery is critical because you need to prepare yourself physically and psychologically for the surgery. Thus, avoid doing the following activities a day before liposuction.
- Shaving – Shaving increases the risk of ingrown hair post surgically and can be a source of potential infection. Avoid shaving the treatment area at least 24 hours prior to the surgical procedure.
- Tight clothing – Avoid wearing tight and uncomfortable clothing. You might need to wear the patient gown during your hospital stay, and you should be able to change clothing comfortably when going for the procedure.
- Driving to the cosmetic center – Prepare yourself for the surgery ahead of the procedure. While you can drive to the cosmetic center by yourself, you might be anxious and nervous. This can impact your driving and increase the risk of an accident. It is best to take someone along to accompany you to the clinic. Try to remain calm and relaxed as you reach the cosmetic center.
After The Surgery
You should follow certain limitations and precautions, as described by your surgeon, to reap the best results of your surgery. These include the following.
1. Avoid Driving Back Home
Get help from someone, a relative, or a friend to pick and drop you before and after the surgery. This is a crucial step because you may feel pain and discomfort after the surgical procedure and might not be able to drive safely. Furthermore, you will most probably be under the heavy influence of medication to avoid the post-surgical distress that will make you dizzy and may cause blurry vision. Driving after the surgery isn’t safe at all and should be avoided at any cost.
2. Avoid Strenuous Physical Activity
Though liposuction surgery Singapore is thought to be a very safe and fairly simple procedure, there is still a need for all the post-surgical measures to be practiced for better healing and quick recovery. The treated area after the surgery is fragile and needs special care. Any excess load can hamper the healing and undermine the recovery process. Thus, it is imperative to avoid any strenuous physical activity for at least four to six weeks after the surgery.
3. Avoid Unrealistic Expectations
The mindset and expectations from your surgery will play a key role in how you perceive the outcomes of the procedure. Thus, it is imperative to keep realistic expectations from your surgery and maintain a practical approach throughout the procedure. Following are a few most common speculations you should try to avoid while undergoing this process:
- Significant Weight Reduction After The Procedure – Don’t presume that you will drastically reduce your body weight from this surgery. Liposuction is not meant to reduce weight but aims only to remove the excess fat beneath your skin and recontour your body. Most patients lose only about 5 pounds after liposuction Singapore. If you want to reach your desired weight, you should shed some pounds before opting for the procedure for the best results.
- Elimination Of Cellulite From Your Skin – cellulite is the fat layer found just below the skin surface, which penetrates into the connective tissue of the skin like herniation, making the skin appear bumpy and uneven from the exterior. Liposuction will only get you rid of soft fat present deeper underneath the skin. While liposuction might make cellulite less noticeable, the procedure won’t remove the fibrous bands of tissue that give rise to cellulite.
- Tightening Of Lax Skin – Liposuction will diminish the skin scars and stretch marks to some extent but will not completely eliminate them.
- If you have loose, saggy skin, your doctor may recommend other skin-tightening procedures such as tummy tuck or arm lift procedure, either in place of or in conjunction with liposuction. While the surgery outcomes vary from individual to individual depending upon skin elasticity, liposuction will only improve the body contours and smoothen them.
- Removal Of Entire Belly Fat – Liposuction Singapore is the procedure that predominantly sucks out the fat present subcutaneously, meaning below the skin and above the muscles. You should remember that the fat present below the muscles, over the organs, known as intra-abdominal or visceral fat, cannot be removed by liposuction. Don’t expect liposuction to get rid of all the fat in your belly. To remove visceral fat, you will have to follow a diet plan and exercise regularly.
Analyze If You Are Ready For Liposuction
After making up your mind about liposuction, use the following points to analyze if you are ready for the procedure. You are ready for liposuction in Singapore if:
- Your weight is near to ideal, and you only need improvement in your body contour.
- You want to remove pockets of fat from trouble areas.
- You have practical and realistic expectations from the procedure.
- You have time to rest for recovery after the surgery for at least 5-7 days off work.
Common treatment areas for liposuction include the areas that do not respond well to weight loss regimes, such as diet and exercise. These include:
- Calves and ankles
- Upper arms
- Chest and back
- Double chin and neck
Look For A Specialist, Accredited Plastic Surgeon
Once you are equipped with knowledge and information about liposuction Singapore, and have decided to undergo the procedure, it is crucial to find a board-certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery.
Consult an experienced plastic surgeon to discuss your case, needs, and desires. You will find out about the pros and cons of the procedure and whether or not it will be suitable for you. Ensure that you are completely satisfied with your cosmetic care center’s facilities and your surgeon’s expertise before the actual surgery.
Dream Plastic Surgery has a trained and friendly staff that will guide through the entire process and help clear any doubts and confusions related to the procedure, cost incurred, as well as post-operative care. Our board-certified plastic surgeons have performed liposuction procedures on hundreds of patients over the years without any hiccups. So you’re in safe hands!
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.