A hundred problems and one solution! Botox. Fine lines, Wrinkles, Saggy skin, Round jawline, Excessive sweating, Chubby arms, Teeth grinding, leaky bladder, there is a long list of things, including medical and cosmetic conditions that can be addressed with Botox treatment.
According to a survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, it was reported that over 70 million people use Botox to treat different problems. It is considered one of the safest and minimally -invasive procedures which protects you from side effects and potential complications of other treatment options.
History Of Botox
After an outbreak in Belgium, the bacteria and toxin came to notice of a scientist called Emile Pierre van Ermengem. It was then that extensive studies were carried out to understand the toxin’s effect on the human body.
Botox or Botulinum toxin was originally introduced in the 1940s when it was first isolated from the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum by Dr. Edward Schantz. It then became the talk of the town in the 1970s after being used to treat crossed eyes, i.e., strabismus. Further studies and experiments proved its efficacy for treating wrinkles. Subsequently, Botox got its FDA approval to be used as a treatment.
The popularity of Botox is owned by the fact that it was the first microbial toxin to be used as a treatment of various diseases. Research is still being carried out to uncover the versatility of the toxin and all the possible uses.
What Is Botox And How Does It Work?
Botulinum toxin is derived from the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum. It is a neurotoxic protein that, if enters the body, it paralyzes the muscles affected by the toxin.
But after research, Botox is now being used by surgeons and doctors for treating various conditions. It is injected in minute quantities into the muscle of the targeted area. As the neurotoxin enters the muscle, it blocks the nerve signals that are responsible for the release of the chemical acetylcholine. Acetylcholine causes the contraction of the muscle, and once blocked, the muscles relax. This smooths out the fine lines and gives you a slimmer jawline without surgery. The same working principle treats other conditions like hyperhidrosis, bruxism, etc.
Moreover, the botulinum toxin also blocks the release of inflammatory and pain chemicals, explaining its use to treat cluster headaches and migraines.
What Are The Side Effects And How To Prevent Them?
The common adverse effects of Botox are minimal and can be resolved within a week of the procedure, ensuring its safety.
The side effects include:
- Pain at the injection site for which you may apply a topical analgesic or an ice pack
- Bruising that can be prevented by avoiding the use of blood thinner before and after the procedure
- Redness usually goes away in a few hours, but if it does not, you may ice the area
- Irritation can be avoided by taking an anti-allergy
- Muscle stiffness or tightening can be resolved by the use of ice packs and painkillers
- Damage to the eye can be easily prevented by using an eye patch during treatment or an eye ointment after
It is always best to consult your physician before getting Botox. Give all your medical and surgical history to the doctor who will be performing the surgery, including any allergies, to prevent possible complications that might occur due to pre-existing conditions.
How Much The Treatment With Botox Cost?
Botox can be injected intradermally or intramuscularly into different areas of the human body, which include:
These price for treatment may vary depending on where you are getting the treatment from and the number of units of botox you require. Moreover, the number of sessions that you might need for effective results also determines the cost price of Botox.
Types Of Botox
Adding on, the cost of Botox in Singapore also depends on the type of botulinum toxin you are using. Currently, there are three types that FDA has approved for treatment purposes.
These formulas are similar in action but different otherwise and cannot be used together or mixed. The chemical formula, percentage of toxin, everything is different. While Xeomin has a gradual effect, Dysport is the fastest, and Botox is intermediate in its action.
Units Of Botox Required
The more units of Botox you need, the more expensive the treatment will be. This varies from one individual to another, and conditions that require more units are as follows:
- Muscles get stronger with use and thus need more Botox to stay in a persistent relaxed state. This involves the masseter muscle, which is constantly engaged in chewing
- A thick muscle also requires more units of Botox to be paralyzed, such as the frontalis muscle of the forehead or jaw muscles
- Males usually have a larger muscle size with more muscle strength, hence a higher dosage is required for effective results
- The results of Botox depend on how long it lasts in the body, i.e., the metabolism of an individual thus require frequent sessions which cost more
- The type of severity of the condition to be treated
- People with an active lifestyle notice that the effects of Botox fade faster, and it costs them more because of more units and touch-ups
- The natural bone structure also decides the units that will be required
Is The Price Of Botox Justified?
When we talk about the cost price of Botox, it involves not only the number of units required or the type of Botox being used but also certain other features. It includes the services that are being provided when you go to the clinic, from the cleanliness to the high-quality equipment that is being used.
The charges are justified because of the conveniences that you get once you go for the treatment. The physicians are highly experienced and certified. They have received the proper training to carry out the treatment and have a consultation session before.
The Bottom Line
The price list of Botox in Singapore mentioned is up to date but still may vary, as it depends upon multiple factors as stated above.
On a safer side, it is preferred that you do complete research about the treatment you are considering in order to avoid any possible miss-happenings. The doctor’s expertise and certification and the clinic’s reliability hold the foremost importance when choosing the right cosmetic center.