Imagine you are meeting a friend of yours after years. The first few things she would notice when she sees your face are, crow’s feet around your eyes, frown lines on your forehead, and a saggy double chin. You might feel a bit embarrassed if this is actually true.
As you age or are exposed to the sun’s harmful UV rays, leading to a decrease in the production of natural collagen and elastin in your skin. These proteins are responsible for the exact purpose of maintaining your skin integrity and give you a young, fresh, and glowing face.
In your late 20s, you see fine lines and wrinkles making its first appearance on your face. Your skin starts to gravitate downwards, and you feel your confidence is going down the drain. While these signs may become more of a concern overtime, there are treatments to improve them – Botox injection!
Since the beginning of 2019, Botox has become one of the most popular aesthetic treatments in Singapore. It is one of the cosmetic treatments that has been recognized by medical doctors and has been undertaken by many celebrities for preventing fine lines and treating wrinkles. Likewise, botox face slimming also does wonders and got famous when stars like Cindy Crawford and Debi Mazar went for it.
Botulinum toxin injections are available in various brands, and are approved by FDA for different kinds of treatments. However, it is important that a certified physician conducts the procedure, considering all the factors that might influence your treatment. The number of units holds a lot of importance, hence the topic of this article.
What Is A Unit Of Botox?
Botox or Botulinum toxin is the protein that is derived from the bacteria, Clostridium botulinum. It acts as a neurotoxin that blocks the nerve signals responsible for releasing the chemical acetylcholine. Acetylcholine plays a role in muscle contraction, and by blocking its effect, it leaves the muscle in a persistent relaxed state.
The softening effect on the muscles thus treats fine lines and aids in toning down the facial structure. When used appropriately, the muscle paralysis has little effects on the facial expressions but only removes the creases which have deepened due to facial motions like smiling and squinting.
Before every treatment, the surgeon has to measure the quantity of Botox that he will administrate. The standard of measuring Botox is a “UNIT”; it attributes the fixed number of botulinum toxin molecules present.
Each standard sized vial contains 100 units of Botox. It represents the amount of the toxin available and helps the doctor decide how many Botox units will be required to produce the effects of a particular treatment.
Which Areas Can Botox Be Injected To?
Various areas of the face and body are commonly treated with Botox injections.
- Forehead wrinkles
- Frown lines between the brows
- Bunny lines between the nose
- Crow’s feet at the corners of the eye
- On the chin for Dimpling chin
- Jawline for Botox jaw reduction
- At the corner of the mouth for Marionette lines
- Around the mouth for Perioral lines or Lipstick lines
- On the upper lip for Gummy smile
- Neck for treating wrinkling
- On the eyebrows for Brow Lift
- Facial skin for Skin lifting
- Facial skin to decrease oil production
- Into the masseter muscle to treat Teeth grinding and for refining v-line
- Upper eyelid for Hooded eyes
- Under the eyes to treat Tear troughs or Eye bags
- Eye muscles for treating squint or lazy eye
- Palms and armpit to treat Hyperhidrosis, i.e., excessive sweating
- Parts of the body with extra fat deposits like calf and shoulders for slimming
- Head for treating migraines
How Many Units Do I Need For Each Area?
Botox treatment in Singapore is a treatment conducted under strict guidelines, and everything is properly taken care of. The numbers of Botox units are calculated beforehand as they vary for different areas and conditions that are to be treated.
The unit of Botox is injected in the specific area that is being treated as it cannot spread more than 35 to 40mm around the site of injection, and the effects are limited. The specific units of Botox according to the target area are tabulated below.
Factors That Influence The Amount Of Botox You Need
Every individual is different from the other, and that is why every human body reacts in a unique way to Botox injection. There are variable characteristics and features that might determine how many units of Botox you need. These include:
- Gender: males usually require a larger dose as they have a larger muscle size
- Muscle Strength: it depends on the use of muscle, and those which are used more typically require more units of Botox
- Thickness Of Muscle: especially noted when Botox is injected in thick muscles like the frontalis and deltoid
- Metabolism: it varies from person to person and determines how long Botox lasts in the body. Mostly the results last for four to six months.
- Severity Of Wrinkles: the more profound and prominent the lines and wrinkles are, the higher the dosage required
- Time Period: if a person has been taking Botox for a long time period, then his muscles must have weakened, and he will need a lesser dose every time for the same effects.
- Aesthetic Goals: the kind of results patients want is different for everyone. Some do not mind losing certain facial movements, while others are considerate about it.
- Facial Structure: the natural size and shape of the face can greatly influence Botox’s dose and results.
- Lifestyle: people with an active lifestyle notice that the results fade faster, and they need more quantities of Botox.
- Area Of Application: the number of Botox units varies in terms of the area they are injected into.
The effect and results of Botox injection typically last for six to eight months, but this duration can vary from person to person. The different factors, as discussed, greatly influence its durability and control how many doses or sessions you will require to achieve the desired results as well as the botox treatment price. Your doctor will be able to guide you according to your case.
Where Do I Find A Reputable Doctor For Botox Injection?
Botox in Singapore is widely used for treating wrinkles and face slimming. Many clinics and institutes are conducting this treatment. The problem that arises is how to find or choose a reputable doctor for the procedure.
It is better to go to a doctor trained in botox injections or seek recommendation from friends or relatives who have had an experience with the doctor. It is always beneficial to do comprehensive research and read reviews before approaching the doctor.
You must have a consultation session with the specialist to clear out all queries and be fully satisfied beforehand.
The Bottom Line
Besides the ones mentioned above, Botox also treats other medical conditions such as migraines, excessive sweating, and slimming of different body parts. It is very famous among Asians primarily due to its non-invasive nature and minimal side effects.
Book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed review of your condition and be able to make a well-informed decision.
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.