Liposuction, also known as lipectomy or lipoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery treatment in which resistant fat is broken down and sucked out from specific parts of the body like hips, abdomen, thighs, etc, to give the body an overall better shape and appearance.
It is one of the most common cosmetic treatments performed in the United States. According to an estimate, on average, more than 300,000 liposuction procedures are done each year in the U.S.
The treatment carries both risks and benefits. We shall look into these pros and cons of liposuction surgery in Singapore in detail but before that; let’s discuss how this treatment is done and what are the different liposuction techniques used in Singapore.
Which Body Areas Can Be Targeted By Liposuction Surgery?
Liposuction surgery can be used to target the following areas;
- Flanks (Love handles)
- Inner and outer thighs
- Inner knees
- Upper arms
- Neck and area under the chin – etc
What Are The Prerequisites For Liposuction Surgery In Singapore?
Here are some formalities that must be fulfilled before liposuction surgery in Singapore;
Tests – Before you undergo the procedure, your doctor will run some health tests to make sure that you are fit for the surgery.
Instructions – You will be asked to follow some general guidelines for a few days before the surgery, like;
- If you are regularly using aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs, you should stop taking them at least 2 weeks before the treatment as these drugs increases the risks of bleeding during surgery.
- You should stop taking contraceptive pills.
- If you are anemic, you may be instructed to take iron supplements.
Consent – Your doctor will ask you to sign a consent form. By signing it, you agree that you have been fully briefed about the risks, benefits, and alternative treatments of liposuction and you are undergoing this procedure of your own choice.
How Is Liposuction Surgery Done In Singapore?
The procedure is done in an orderly manner using the following steps;
The choice of anesthesia depends upon how much fat needs to be removed and from which area of the body.
- Your doctor may give you general anesthesia if a larger treatment area is involved.
- In the case of lower body treatments, epidural anesthesia can also be used in which an anesthetic agent is injected into your spine in the epidural space. This will numb your lower abdomen and legs.
- When liposuction is done on very small areas, local anesthesia can also be used.
Cleaning And Draping
The targeted area will then be cleaned using a disinfectant and draped with a sterilized piece of clothes. This is done to lower the risks of infections.
Techniques Of Liposuction
Surgery will be performed using one of the following techniques;
- It is the most popular technique of liposuction performed by plastic surgeons. In this method;
- Several liters of saline solution containing lidocaine (a local anesthetic) and epinephrine (vasoconstrictor) is injected under the skin.
- Fat is then sucked out using small suctioning tubes.
- In this technique, a specialized cannula, energized with ultrasound, is inserted into the targeted region.
- Ultrasound vibrations are produced which destroys the walls of fat cells and convert them into liquefied or emulsified form.
- This liquefied fat is then easily removed by a suction-assisted cannula.
Laser-Assisted Lipolysis (LAL)
- First, a tumescent fluid is injected into the treatment region.
- A small incision is made into the skin and a small tube is inserted under the skin. This tube is used to deliver laser energy.
- The heat produced by the laser will melt down the fat.
- The liquefied fat is then sucked out using a suction mechanism.
What To Expect After Liposuction Surgery?
You can expect the following things after liposuction surgery;
- Numbness, swelling, and bruising are quite normal things after surgery. They will subside within a few weeks.
- If you were given general anesthesia during the surgery, an overnight hospital stay will be required. However, in case of local anesthesia, you can return home on the same day.
- An elasticated support corset or bandages will be applied to the treatment area.
- You will be given antibiotic medications right after the surgery.
- Painkillers will be used to manage any discomfort once the anesthesia wears off.
- In the follow-up appointment, stitches will be removed. Your doctor will also look for any signs of wound infection or other side effects.
When Will The Results Appear?
Marked improvement will be seen immediately after the surgery; however, final results will not become apparent until the swelling subsides completely. In some cases, it will take 3 to 6 months for remnant swelling to subside, but usually, the majority of the swelling will resolve within 4 weeks.
What Are The Pros Of Body Liposuction Singapore?
Liposuction surgery has the following plus points;
Helps To Get Rid Of Stubborn Fat
Some fats are very difficult to lose no matter how hard we work in the gym or how vigilant we become in selecting our diets. These stubborn pockets of fats are usually present in the abdomen, arms, chest, thighs, and back region. Liposuction surgery allows you to get rid of this fat and sculpts your body in a better shape.
Makes Toned Muscles More Prominent
Doing gym or strenuous workouts increases your strength and size of muscles. But oftentimes, people do not get the perfect shape of a muscle, like abs, despite toiling hard in the gyms. It is probably because the subcutaneous layer of stubborn fat is hiding the contours and beauty of muscles.
By suctioning this fat away, liposuction makes your toned muscles more prominent with a more defined shape.
Versatile And Customizable
Another plus point is that liposuction is a highly versatile and customizable treatment. You can treat several areas of the body during the same surgery, or may also undergo liposuction with other body contouring and breast augmentation procedures. The results can be easily customizable in this way.
Can Also Be Used As A Therapeutic Procedure
Although liposuction is usually done as a cosmetic treatment, it can also be used to cure conditions like;
What Are The Cons Of Liposuction Singapore?
Here are some of the limitations of liposuction surgery in Singapore. You must know them beforehand so that you go for this surgery with realistic expectations.
Not A Weight Reduction Treatment
Although liposuction involves the removal of resistant fat from the body, it is not an ideal treatment for the removal of large amounts of fat. Therefore, it cannot be used as a weight reduction procedure. If you are obese and want to reduce weight, you should consider other treatments like bariatric surgery.
Does Not Tighten Loose And Saggy Skin
Liposuction does not tighten loose and saggy skin. It is ideal if you have good skin elasticity before undergoing the procedure so that the skin can mold itself into a new shape after the removal of subcutaneous fat.
In case of poor skin elasticity, you may need to combine liposuction with other treatments like the tummy tuck procedure to attain smoother, flatter, and tighter skin.
Have Potential Side Effects
Like any other cosmetic surgery, there are certain potential risks and side effects associated with liposuction. These include;
- Severe bruising
- Inflammation and swelling
- Contour irregularities and asymmetry
- Wound infection
Having the procedure done by an experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon will minimize the risks of these side effects.
Swelling May Last For A Few Months
You can see significant improvement right away after the procedure. However, in some cases, it may take up to 3 to 6 months for the swelling to subside and reveal the final results.
Ideal Weight Needs To Be Maintained
Although liposuction permanently removes fat cells, new fat may accumulate in the area if you do not maintain your diet. Therefore, it is recommended to stay vigilant with your diet and exercise to keep your body in optimum shape.
Who Is A Suitable Candidate For Liposuction Surgery?
There are certain eligibility criteria a person must fulfill to undergo liposuction surgery in Singapore. For example, the person;
- Should be above 21 years of age
- Should have a good skin tone and elasticity, so that the skin molds itself into the new contours after the surgery
- Should be in a good health
- Shouldn’t have any bleeding disorder
- Shouldn’t have any comorbid conditions like coronary artery disease or diabetes
- Shouldn’t have a weekend immunity (Immunocompromised)
- Should not undergo liposuction treatment to reduce weight
Liposuction surgery in Singapore is a cosmetic treatment in which fat refractory to diet and exercise, is removed to sculpt the body into a better shape. This versatile and easily customizable treatment has a very short recovery time, makes your muscles more prominent, and can also be used to treat various medical conditions. However, it is not a weight reduction procedure and carries risks of some potential side effects.
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.