Double eyelid surgery is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures, especially in Asian countries. It is because monolids are a common characteristic among East Asians as compared to people of other ethnicities.
The ‘monolid’ look is due to the absence of a crease on the upper eyelid, which sometimes can lead to smaller, puffy, or droopy-looking eyes. However, double eyelids are considered aesthetically appealing among people. Similar-sized eyes can appear bigger if double eyelids are properly defined.
Where there is always a trend of undergoing double eyelid surgery in Singapore, people are often concerned about how long it will take to recover after the surgery and is there anyway to speed up the recovery process.
This article includes everything you need to know about the recovery after Double eyelid surgery and the recovery process. But before that, find out some insights on why double eyelid surgery is so popular and the techniques that are being used for this surgery.
What Is Double Eyelid Surgery?
Double eyelid surgery is also known as upper blepharoplasty. It is a cosmetic surgery technique used to enhance the appearance of the eyes.
This surgery can be done in two ways either incisional or non-incisional. The method is simple and takes 20 minutes – an hour to create a well-defined shape of the eye, making them look more defined, larger, and awake.
What Are The Reasons Behind The Popularity Of Double Eyelid Surgery?
Double Eyelid Surgery has gained much popularity for the following reasons:
- Aesthetic Enhancement – People are more conscious about their facial appearances and are more influenced by Korean beauty standards.
- Low Risks and Downtime – This procedure is short having minimal risks and downtime. The surgery takes less than an hour to perform and you are good to go shortly after the procedure. The downtime averages about 2 weeks.
- Noticeable Effects – This surgery tends to have subtle, yet noticeable effects on a person’s appearance
What Are The Different Techniques Used For Double Eyelid Surgery?
Many people tend to try-out creating double eyelid temporary using eyelid tape and eyelid glue before exploring more permanent solutions. Here are the techniques for a more permanent solution:
Incisional upper blepharoplasty
Incisional upper blepharoplasty is the classical technique of double eyelid surgery. The following steps are included in this technique:
- Firstly, a horizontal incision is made along the upper eyelid
- The excess fat and skin are excised before closing the incision
- Some muscles may be reattached according to the situations
- The eyelid crease is formed by inner scar tissues from the operation “anchoring” the eyelid skin down and dragging it in with opened eyes
- Scars from this technique are hidden in the eyelid crease itself and are not generally noticeable
Dual Burial Method / Non-incisional double eyelid surgery
The Dual Burial double eyelid surgery is a suture technique for creating double eyelids. In comparison to incisional upper blepharoplasty, it is less invasive and with lesser scarring marks. However, it is not recommended for those who have puffy eyelids with excess fat and skin.
The following steps are included in this technique:
- Firstly, 3 punctures at specific points in the upper eyelid are made
- A couple of sutures are then passed through these punctures and warped in a definite way
- Eyelid crease is then created by pulling the eyelids inwards
- Excess sutures are cut and the loose ends are tied and hidden in the upper eyelid
Incisional Upper Blepharoplasty
Dual Burial Double Eyelid Surgery
It is more invasive
It is less invasive
more visible scars
less visible scars
Suitable for most eyelid
Suitable for eyelid with minimal excess skin & fat
Moderate to mild swelling should improved after 1 to 2 weeks of the surgery
Mild swelling and bruising which fades away in few days
Less permanent & reversible
Stitches to be removed 7 days after the surgery
No removal of stitches is required.
The Infrabrow lift technique is not specifically a double eyelid surgery. But it is suitable for people who have masked or hooded double eyelids. Lifting the skin above the eyes by exposing the hidden eyelid crease can also achieve a defined double eyelid effect.
The following steps are included in this technique:
- Firstly, the incision is made along the lower brow line
- Excess skin and fat are excised according to the needs before finally closing the incision
- It will move the skin up and stiffens it
- It will expose any hidden double eyelids
- If any scars present, they are well-hidden along the lower brow line
Who Are The Suitable Candidates For Double Eyelid Surgery?
The suitable candidates for undergoing double eyelid surgery are:
- Patients with puffy eyelids due to excessive fat
- Patients of any age who wish to create a double upper eyelid fold
- Patients who have too much excess skin that droop across the eyelid which hinders the vision
- Patients who have ptosis due to the weakness in the opening mechanism of their eyes
What Are The Risks And Complications Of Double Eyelid Surgery?
As for any surgical method, there are some potential risks and complications. The major ones include:
- Bleeding or Hematoma (blood clot accumulation)
- Extended swelling due to an aggressive fold design
- Dry or irritated eyes
- Asymmetrical results – etc
What To Expect After Double Eyelid Surgery?
Here is what you should be expecting after undergoing double eyelid surgery in Singapore;
Immediately after the surgery
- Double eyelid procedure is done in an outpatient setting. You may go home the same day but ensure must ensure you have someone to accompany you home.
- Painkillers and antibiotics will be prescribed to control the pain and minimize the risk of infection
- Some bruising, swelling, and discomfort can be seen. The effects are temporary and mostly mild. Cold compression is helpful to reduce the swelling and bruising.
- Other immediate post-surgery side effects may include
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
- Dry sticky eye
In the first week after the surgery
- Eyes may still be swollen and puffy
- The incision lines will be pink and conspicuous
- Eyes may still be watery, dry, sensitive to light, tender, and bruised.
Two weeks after the surgery
- The results depend on how quickly the body heals. Most patients are recovered enough to return to normal daily activities
- Some swelling and bruising can still be present around the eyes
Full recovery after the surgery – can be seen after around six weeks of surgery
- Mild residual swelling may still be present
- Incision lines can remain slightly pink for six months or more
- It can last for many years or even for a lifetime
How Long Will It Take To Recover After Double Eyelid Surgery?
The recovery time for the double eyelid surgery process depends on the type of surgical procedure performed.
- Dual Burial Double Eyelid Surgery
- The recovery period is about 3 to 5 days
- Swelling is mild subsides within a week
- Incisional double eyelid surgery
- The recovery period is about 5 to 7 days
- Mild to moderate swelling subsides within 7 to 14 days
What Are The Factors That Influence Double Eyelid Surgery Recovery Time?
The recovery period after double eyelid surgery varies from person to person. Following are the factors that can influence the overall recovery time of the patient after the procedure is done:
- How strictly the patient follows the instructions given by the doctor
- Tolerance for the pain
- General health
- The quality of the skin
- The tendency of the body to swell or bruise
- Type of eyelid surgery done – etc
How To Speed Up The Recovery After Double Eyelid Surgery?
To speed up the recovery after double eyelid surgery, these instructions and post-operative care must be followed
- Keep the eye area clean and avoid rubbing it
- Do not put make-up or any other cosmetic product over the treatment area for at least 1 week
- Apply ice packs to the eyelids for 2 to 5 days
- Try to sleep on the back with the head elevated to reduce swelling
- Avoid steamy showers and stick only to routine showers
- Continue wearing sunglasses when going outside
- Refrain from wearing contact lenses up to 4 weeks after surgery
- Resumption of light exercise after 3 to 4 weeks
- Use post-operative medications as per the recommendation
- Oral Antibiotics
- Antibiotic eyedrop 3 times a day
- Analgesics and anti-swelling medications
- Antibiotic ointment to be applied regularly 3 to 5 times a day
- To prevent eyes from drying out it is advised to use eye drops
- Swelling can be seen after the surgery – it usually resolves within 1 week or can take a few weeks to resolve in rare cases. To reduce the swelling
- Avoid exertion
- Elevate the head up
- Avoid cosmetics and creams until the suture is removed
- A cooling mask is to apply at the surgical site within the first 2 days
- ☐ Do not go for strenuous exercises like weightlifting for about 3 to 4 weeks
Double eyelid surgery in Singapore has gained much popularity due to its aesthetic-enhancing effects, short downtime, and fewer associated risks and side effects. This surgery can be done in two ways either incisional or non-incisional. The recovery time for the surgery depends on various factors; however, you can speed up the process by following some simple and easy guidelines.
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.