Individuals looking for facial rejuvenation today have more safe and effective options available. The advancements in treatment options like dermal fillers and cheek fat grafting over the years have made them more reliable. Today, they can be used for achieving more natural facial rejuvenation results.
Over the years, these treatment options have built their reputation in reversing the aging effects and restoring facial fullness to give patients a younger look. On top of achieving a more youthful appearance, patients can also opt for fat grafting in Singapore and dermal fillers for improving balance among different facial features and to correct any asymmetries.
While both fat grafting and dermal fillers can be effective for facial contouring and rejuvenation, the question is which of the two is a better choice. Let’s take a closer look at both options and try to find out who they are best suited to.
Facial Fat Grafting
Facial fat grafting or autologous fat transfer is a facial rejuvenation procedure that involves injecting the patient’s own fat for restoring volume to facial areas with evident signs of aging. As the procedure uses the patients’ very own fat which is biocompatible to the body, it lowers the risk of rejection and side effects associated with synthetic materials.
The results of fat grafting are immediate, however, they may take 3-6 months to stabilize. During this time, the graft establishes itself in the new location, and the body re-absorbs a certain percentage of the injected fat. The remaining fat cells that survive the grafting process would remain permanently.
When To Opt For Fat Grafting?
Cheek fat grafting, or fat grafting in general, is a facial rejuvenation procedure for anyone looking to add volume to the cheeks, reshape the forehead, soften bony areas on the face, or fill in the under-eye area. It produces more natural-looking results and restores facial fullness. The procedure works for anyone regardless of their age.
How Is It Performed?
Fat grafting is a two-step procedure. In the first step, the surgeon harvests fat cells from the patient’s body. Generally, fat is collected from the thighs, hips, or stomach and then purified. In the next step, the harvested fat is injected into the desired areas in the face.
It’s an outpatient surgical procedure that is performed under sedation. Patients usually also experience swelling and bruising at the donor and injection sites which is normal and that would subside approximately after 2 weeks.
Benefits Of Fat Grafting
Fat grafting uses a patient’s own fat for facial rejuvenation and can produce more natural results with minimal risk. It has many other benefits as described below.
- Fat grafting in Singapore can produce more natural and long-lasting results.
- The site from where the doctor harvests the fat looks slimmer and better contoured.
- It’s a versatile treatment option compared to fillers because fat can be injected anywhere on the face safely. Fat transfers can even be a perfect alternative to injectables like Botox for improving wrinkles and lines around the eyes and forehead.
- The stem cells in fat can be helpful in rejuvenating any overlying skin around the treatment site.
- As the body re-absorbs some of the fat transferred into the treatment site, multiple treatments may be required for achieving the desired long-lasting results. If a skilled surgeon performs the procedure, it can help to increase the survival rate of the fat cells and provide longer lasting results.
- Fat grafting in Singapore is more expensive as compared to synthetic facial fillers due to the complexity of the procedure. However, results last much longer and there is no need to repeat the treatment frequently which may make it more economical in the long run.
Facial fillers are Hyaluronic Acid gels that are injected into the skin to temporarily decrease the aging signs that appear on the face. They are meant to add volume, improve deficiencies in facial contours, diminish wrinkles, and smooth out the facial folds. While there are many options to choose from, hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane are the most commonly used. They don’t need any surgical procedures to be performed but may need a touch-up every 6-12 months.
When To Opt For Facial Fillers?
Facial fillers are best used as a quick fix for restoring volume to areas on the face that have lost their fullness due to aging or to sculp and improve a facial feature. Most often, they are used for plumping the lips, reducing the appearance of under-eye bags, adding volume to cheeks, defining the jawline, and even refining or altering the shape of the nose. It may also be beneficial for patients who have atrophic scarring where a small filler injection can help smooth the skin.
Fillers make a perfect choice for anyone who wants a temporary and cost-effective facial rejuvenation solution. They produce the best results in patients with good skin elasticity.
How Is It Performed?
Injecting facial fillers is an outpatient procedure performed in the doctor’s office. It involves injecting the filler at multiple sites, massaging them, and evaluating the results. Additional filler may be used as required. While the injection takes just a few moments for each site, the entire procedure may be performed well within 30 minutes which makes it an ideal lunch time treatment.
Facial fillers usually require minimal downtime, and the patients can resume their normal activities immediately.
Benefits Of Facial Fillers
Fillers are a temporary facial rejuvenation solution that can produce instant results and hide the signs of aging. Some key benefits of using facial fillers include the following:
- They are a non-invasive facial rejuvenation alternative to cheek fat grafting and, when done properly, may yield good results.
- The procedure doesn’t involve any prep time as additional procedures aren’t required for completing the process.
- Almost no downtime is associated with fillers, and patients often return to their regular routine the same day.
- The initial costs of fillers are way below that of fat grafting.
- The patients can experience some swelling, but it subsides quicker than it does in the case of fat grafting.
- The results are almost immediate.
- Fillers produce temporary results and may need a touch-up every 6-12 months.
- In the long run, the costs of facial fillers can go higher than that of fat grafting in Singapore because frequent treatments may be needed for maintaining the desired results.
- Even though fillers are generally safe, there is always a risk involved in injecting the body with a foreign substance. So, it may lead to allergic reactions in some cases.
Facial fillers and cheek fat grafting both produce commendable results when it comes to facial rejuvenation and contouring. Fillers generally produce immediate results, but they require regular maintenance over time. Fat grafting in Singapore, on the other hand, is a bit more involved procedure that is completed in two steps and usually takes 3-6 months for the results to become completely visible. When the graft is established, however, the results are permanent. However, multiple procedures or touch-ups may be required for achieving the desired results. It becomes more affordable in the long run as compared to facial fillers because it doesn’t need regular maintenance.
It is advised that the patients must consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to choose the best treatment option for their aesthetic goals. With the right advice and proper treatment, the best facial rejuvenation results can be achieved.