Liposuction has long been considered one of the popular cosmetic treatments among females. However, in the past two decades, a significant rise has been seen in the total number of men seeking liposuction.
Although the purpose of this treatment in both genders is to get rid of stubborn fat that is resistant to diet and exercise, there are certain aspects in which liposuction is different among men and women. So, let’s find out what are the similarities and differences present between the liposuction for men and women.
What Is Liposuction Treatment?
Liposuction, or lipoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery treatment usually performed by plastic surgeons. In this treatment, stubborn fat is removed from specific parts of the body like hips, abdomen, thighs, etc, to give the body an overall better shape and appearance.
How Is Liposuction For Men Different From That Of Women?
Due to certain dissimilarities in the structural, anatomical, and biochemical characteristics of fat, the goals and targeted areas of liposuction are different among males and females, as described below;
Men have thicker, more dense, and fibrous fat as compared to females. Besides, the fat is closely attached to the underlying muscles. This dense nature, and close approximation with the muscles, therefore, makes fat removal during liposuction more difficult in male patients.
Fat Distribution In Body
Women tend to accumulate more fat in their hips, thighs, and gluteal regions, while men store more fat in their mid-section like chest, back and abdomen.
Targeted Areas Of Fat Removal
Due to the different distributions of body fat, the targeted areas of liposuction are different in males and females. Women are keener to remove fat from their hips, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, and sometimes flanks. Men, on the other hand, usually opt for this treatment to sculpt their abdomen, chest, love handles, and neck regions.
Goals Of Fat Removal
Another difference is that of the goals with which men and women seek liposuction treatment. Usually, liposuction in females aims to acquire a slimmer and curvy feminine figure. On the other hand, men want to remove fat to make their muscles look toned up and more defined.
What Are The Similarities Between Liposuction Treatment For Men And Women?
Apart from the goals, targeted areas, difficulty level, and amount of fat removed, the rest of the liposuction procedure is the same for both men and women.
So, in the following section, we shall discuss the various aspects of liposuction treatment in Singapore as a single entity without mentioning any gender differences.
What Are The Various Types Of Liposuction?
Liposuction treatment can be classified into the following types based on the different techniques by which the fat is removed.
This is the most common technique opted by the surgeons. In this type of liposuction, a saline solution is injected into the targeted area. This solution contains saltwater that dissolves the fat and makes its suction easier. Besides, the solution also contains lidocaine (local analgesic) and epinephrine (vasoconstrictor) which allows the painless removal of fat with minimal blood loss, respectively.
Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction (UAL)
In this technique, fat is broken down with the aid of ultrasound waves. The sound energy ruptures the cell walls of fat cells and liquefies them. The liquefied fat is then sucked out, easily.
Laser-assisted Liposuction (LAL)
This type of liposuction uses laser heat energy to break down and liquify the dense deposits of fat under the skin. It is commonly used for sculpting or to further enhance the skin contours after removing majority of the fat via other liposuction techniques.
What Are The Prerequisites Of Getting Liposuction Treatment In Singapore?
There are certain instructions you need to follow before the liposuction treatment. You will be informed about these guidelines during your first consultation with the doctor. Major ones are mentioned below;
- Refrain from smoking 2 weeks before the procedure
- Stop consuming alcohol 2 weeks before the procedure
- Stop taking supplements especially those containing vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids.
- Don’t take painkillers (NSAIDs) and blood thinner medications, as they increase the risks of bleeding during the surgery and recovery period
How Is The Liposuction Treatment Done In Singapore?
The liposuction treatment in Singapore is done at a surgical center, or a hospital. The steps followed during the treatment include;
- Initial Assessment – The doctor will assess how much fat needs to be removed, and from which area, to give your body a better shape.
- Photographs And Marking – Before starting the surgery, the doctor will take photographs of the treatment area to use later for before-and-after comparison. He will then mark the sites where the incision will be given.
- Anesthesia – Next step is anesthesia. You will be given local, or general anesthesia to minimize the discomfort during the surgery. The choice of anesthesia will be made based on the amount of fat that will be removed.
- Disinfection – The treatment area will be cleaned with a disinfectant. This is done to minimize the risks of infection.
- Incision – Once all the prerequisites have been fulfilled, the surgeon will give small incisions (< 1 cm) to the skin using a scalpel.
- Liquefaction Of Fat – The targeted fat will then be removed using one of the different modalities i.e. saline solution, ultrasound, laser, or a vibrating cannula.
- Fat Removal – The liquefied fat will be removed with the help of a suction cannula.
- Suturing – After the desired amount of fat is removed, the surgeon will stitch together the edges of the incised skin.
What To Expect After The Liposuction Surgery?
After the surgery, you will be shifted to the recovery room. You will be kept under observation for a couple of hours. Qualified doctors and nurses will monitor your vitals and look for any immediate post-surgical side effects and complications.
Once you are all clear, you will be given instructions regarding the aftercare. Your doctor may also prescribe some antibiotics and painkillers. After that, you will be good to go. Usually, an overnight hospital stay is not required, and you will walk out of the facilitation center on the same day. However, in the case where a large amount of fat is removed, an overnight stay is compulsory. There may be mild swelling and bruising at the treatment site for the next few days; however, these will subside within a week or two.
How Long Is The Recovery Period?
Bleeding, bruising and soreness are quite common after the surgery and they last for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, you have to take painkillers and antibiotics. You may also require wearing a compression garment for at least two months to keep the swelling in check, and quicker recovery.
Mostly, people return to their normal activities within two weeks after the liposuction treatment, but the duration may vary from person to person.
Are There Any Side Effects And Complications Of Liposuction?
Although the risks are minimal liposuction surgery has certain potential side effects and complications. These include;
- Wound infection
- Hypovolemic shock (if adequate fluids are not given after surgery)
- Anesthesia complications
- Collection of fluid under the skin
- Fat embolism
- Instrumental injuries (e.g. burns from the laser)
- Asymmetry (due to unequal removal of fat)
- Injury to the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, internal organs
These side effects and complications rarely occur if the surgery is performed by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon. Therefore, you should be vigilant while choosing your doctor. Besides, proper aftercare is also essential for optimum results.
For How Long Do The Results Last?
Although liposuction efficiently removes fat permanently from the targeted area, new fat cells may grow and accumulate if you gain weight. Therefore, to ensure long-lasting effects, you have to keep your weight in check. Experts recommend regular exercise, and eating lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and a low-caloric diet after the liposuction treatment.
What Is The Cost Of Liposuction In Singapore?
The liposuction cost in Singapore varies from $4,000 to $7,000 per treatment region. The final cost is determined by multiple factors, like;
- Type of liposuction
- Size and number of the treatment areas
- Amount of fat removed
- Type of anesthesia given during surgery
- Any additional skin tightening treatment performed alongside liposuction
- Skills and experience of the plastic surgeon
- Overnight stay at the hospital
- The locality of the facilitation center
- Cost of operation and recovery rooms
- Post-operative medications
Who Is A Good Candidate For Liposuction?
Men and women of all ages can undergo liposuction treatment; however, they must be fulfilling the following criteria;
- Overall good health
- No bleeding diathesis or any other blood disorder
- No contraindications for anesthesia
- Bodyweight must be close to the goal weight, and the purpose of the liposuction treatment should be to get rid of stubborn fat and to improve the shape and appearance of the body.
- Shouldn’t have any unrealistic expectations (like treating obesity)
Due to the different structural, anatomical, and biochemical characteristics of fat, liposuction for men and women are a little bit different in terms of the goals, complexity, targeted areas, and amount of fat removal. Apart from these aspects, the rest of the liposuction treatment is the same in both males and females.
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.