Double eyelid surgery, also called blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure in which a skin crease/fold is reshaped or formed in the upper eyelid. This surgery is used for eye conditions like droopy lids or simply to create creases in the upper eyelid for aesthetic purposes. It is a relatively painless procedure as it is done under local anesthesia, so you might only feel mild discomfort to no pain during the treatment.
According to a report by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), 1.3 million people undergo this procedure worldwide annually with the surgery being most popular in Asia. This procedure is the most common cosmetic procedure performed in Asians and the third most common procedure in Asian Americans.
This article presents the key reasons why you should get double eyelid surgery in Singapore. But before discussing that, let’s understand more about this treatment and the reasons for its popularity.
Why Is Double Eyelid Surgery Popular In Asia?
Double eyelid surgery is usually performed on Monolid Orientals (Korean, Chinese and Japanese). With over half of the population having an upper eyelid without a crease, this is the most common surgical and aesthetic procedure performed on Asians.
Following are the benefits of double eyelid surgery;
- It makes your eyes look bigger and more attractive giving them a more bright and awake-looking appearance.
- It restores the natural contour of the sagging eyelid due to old age or lack of collagen.
- Achieving more alert-looking eyes helps you to get rid of the “angry look” on your face that occurs due to drooping of eyelids.
- Sagging eyelids combined with the aging process can decrease your field of vision. Blepharoplasty helps to increase your peripheral vision by removing excess skin and fat.
- It is a fairly painless procedure with effects lasting for as long as ten years. There are minimal scarring and post-op complications that make this procedure desirable.
What Are The Common Eyelid Types In Asians?
The “Asian Eyelid” is the common term used to describe the eyelids of people belonging to the continent of Asia. It includes people of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese descent mainly.
There are three common types of eyelids in the Asian population;
This type of eyelid has no eyelid crease. The lids are not visible upon opening the eyes. There is a visible epicanthal fold in mono lids.
Low Eyelid Crease
The crease is low seated, tapering towards the nasal bone. Sometimes, it is also associated with a hidden epicanthal fold.
These eyelids have a well-formed supratarsal crease. The epicanthal fold is absent and the eye appears more open and alert.
What are the Different Types of Double Eyelid Surgery Done in Singapore?
Double eyelid surgery in Singapore can be classified into two types;
Non-incisional Double Eyelid Surgery
Non-incisional double eyelid surgery has also been called the “Buried Suture Technique” which creates brighter and youthful-looking eyes without giving any incision in the eyelids. Hidden sutures are placed under the upper eyelids which give the impression of a supratarsal crease.
- The procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
- A single suture weaves through the eyelid skin before ending with just a single knot.
- This procedure is performed without an incision, so it creates minimal scarring and swelling.
- It can be performed on thick eyelids and enhance your natural eyelid creases without giving any incision.
- It can cause early loosening of the double crease, inclusion of cyst formation, infection, and irritation from hidden sutures. However, these ill effects are very rare if you have good personal hygiene and the procedure is done by an experienced person under proper and aseptic facilities.
Incisional Double Eyelid Surgery
Incisional double eyelid surgery is generally performed under local anesthesia.
- An incision is made along the eyelid line.
- The skin and orbicularis oculi muscle between the incisions is removed, and then the skin is either stitched with sutures or with skin glue.
- This is a non-reversible procedure that is largely reserved for people with thick skin, excess skin, or excess fat.
Which Type of Double Eyelid Surgery Should I Choose?
Before choosing a double eyelid surgery you should consider the following factors;
- State Of your eyelids
- Your vision
- The thickness of your eyelids
- Preference for longer-lasting results over future scarring
People can consider non-incisional methods if they have;
- Thin eyelids
- Less redundant skin and fat
- If they do not want incisions or any visible scarring
The results will be early healing; with little to no scarring; however, results will fade away after some time.
People can opt for incisional methods if they have;
- Thick eyelids
- Severe sagging of eyelids
- Excess skin and fat
- Vision problems due to the sagging skin
- If they want relatively longer and irreversible results
- If they have ptosis or decreased peripheral vision
Incisional eyelid surgery has a very good success rate. However, due to the incisions, you might end up with little scar marks. If you are okay with scars and prefer longer-lasting results, incisional eyelid surgery is the right choice for you.
Essentially, it comes down to scarring of the eyelid and the purpose of surgery. If you do not want a scar, go for non-incisional methods but if you want longer-lasting results and remove excess skin, opt for incisional methods.
Why I Should Get Double Eyelid Surgery?
Here are the key reasons why double eyelid surgery is worth considering.
Cosmetic And Health Benefits Of Double Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid Surgery has largely been a cosmetic procedure, but in recent times, it has also been used to achieve health benefits. The reasons to get a double eyelid surgery include the following;
- Cosmetic purposes – to achieve a more younger and attractive look for the eye.
- Drooping eyelids – to improve vision, especially in older people if sagging eyelids are getting in your line of vision.
- Symmetry – Achieving a uniform shape for both the eyelids.
- Removal of excess fat from the eyes – to decrease the sensation of puffiness.
- Achieving alert eyes – that do not appear fatigued or sleepy.
It takes a very short time for the double eyelid surgery to complete. The procedure length; however, varies depending on the type of surgery and the amount of work that needs to be done.
Non-Incisional eyelid surgery usually takes 20-30 minutes, but the time duration can be increased depending on the condition of the patient and the surgery.
On the other hand, incisional double eyelid surgery usually takes around 1 hour. However, the duration can increase further if both eyelids are operated on in the same treatment session or if a lot of redundant skin needs to be removed.
The healing process depends on the kind of surgery employed and the pre, intra, and post-op conditions of the patient.
Non Incisional eyelid surgery does not require removing stitches. The recovery is faster and no time is required from recovery to achieving normal daily functioning.
Incisional eyelid surgery requires at least three follow-up visits. Stitches are usually removed on the seventh postoperative day and at least 5-7 days are required before you can return to your normal routine activities.
Minimal Risks Of Side Effects
The complete recovery only takes 1-2 weeks during which the patient might have the following common side effects;
- Minor pain
These are temporary and patients are advised to use cold compresses, dark sunglasses in daylight, and lubrication gels.
Other more severe but rare side effects include;
- Corneal Opacity
- Loss of vision
The timelines discussed above are the ideal ones if no complication occurs. But if there is any infection, poor hygiene, anesthesia complication, comorbid conditions like diabetes or hypertension, or any intra-op problems, the duration of recovery is prolonged depending upon the factor.
How Much Does Double Eyelid Surgery Cost in Singapore?
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has estimated the price of double eyelid surgery to be roughly around $3,100. This is just the cost of the surgery. The overall price increases by adding the cost of anesthesia, hospital room, medications, and other expenses.
In general, double eyelid surgery price in Singapore depends on the following;
- Type of procedure done
- The geographical area in which you live
- Comorbid conditions of the patient and the pretest evaluation
- Cost of the surgeon and the facilitation center
- Follow-ups – etc
Who are the Best Suitable Candidates for Double Eyelid Surgery in Singapore?
All are suitable for double eyelid surgery as long as the following criteria are met;
- Should be in general good health
- Should not have any bleeding tendencies
- Should be fit for anesthesia
- Should not have any unrealistic expectations from the treatment
How to Find a Good Surgeon for Eyelid Surgery in Singapore?
A skilled plastic surgeon is a key to good results. His/Her abilities and expertise should be considered before opting for surgery. Some tips to keep in mind are;
- Get a referral from your family doctor.
- Find out reviews about the doctor.
- Before opting for a surgeon for double eyelid surgery, consider his/her experience, the number of such procedures he/she has done so far, and the success rate of the previous procedures.
Double eyelid surgery is a fairly common procedure done in Asians. It not only gives the eyes a younger and brighter look but also treats sagging eyelids leading to better vision. It is the most common cosmetic procedure performed in Asians with very high success rates, low recovery time, and a relatively low cost. However, this surgery is a matter of personal preference because there is nothing wrong medically with eyelids without a crease.
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.