Breast Augmentation is among the most popular cosmetic procedures conducted worldwide today. Most patients who undergo fat grafting for breast augmentation are reported to have high satisfaction and see a much lower complication rate than surgical breast implantation procedures.
What is Breast Fat Grafting?
Breast Fat Grafting is a cosmetic plastic procedure involving removing fat from one part of the body and adding it to the breast. This is conducted to enlarge the breast size and make them appear more uplifted. The fat may be extracted from one location of the body, or it may be removed from multiple locations based on the requirements. This extraction of fat is usually done via liposuction.
Why Should I Choose Fat Grafting for Breast Augmentation?
You may want to choose fat grafting for breast augmentation over other methods due to the superior benefits this method offers. These include:
- Providing Long-Lasting Results: Fat grafts provide longer-lasting results as compared to other forms of breast implants, which usually need to be replaced after many years. On the other hand, a fat graft is permanent.
- Superior Shape: A majority of experts believe that breast augmentation through fat grafting offers a better shape as compared to premade implants. This method allows the surgeon to make a custom look for the patient according to their requirements.
- No Use Of Artificial Implants: Breast Augmentation with fat grafting saves the patient from the use of artificial silicone-based implants. Instead, it takes the body’s own fat, making it much safer and leaving fewer chances of rejection.
Breast Augmentation With Fat Grafting VS Implants
Breast Augmentation with fat grafting has several benefits over other forms of the implant. This is because fat grafts can be easily customised and adjusted according to the doctor’s and patient’s requirements.
The main differences between the two include types of procedure include:
- Body Contour: While it adds volume to the breasts, it also helps to reduce volume from other parts of the body. Hence, individuals who are looking for proper body contour may prefer fat grafting for breast augmentation to be more favourable.
- Natural Augmentation: Implants made up of silicone are a major source of concern amongst females who want to go for breast augmentation as they do not want an artificial or unnatural material inside their bodies. On the other hand, the fat grafting technique offers a natural and safer alternative as no foreign materials are being implanted in the body.
What Can I Expect Before The Procedure?
You will meet the surgeon prior to the assessment for a consultation and preoperative assessment. During the visit to the clinic, you will be advised about the details of the procedure, the possible risks associated with it and the kind of results you can expect from it. The doctor also assesses if you are a good candidate for fat removal and whether enough body fats are available for the procedure.
Once it has been determined that you will be undergoing fat grafting with breast augmentation, you may also be given a number of preoperative instructions by the doctor. These include not eating, drinking or chewing anything at least 8 hours before the surgery. You will also be advised to wear comfortable clothing, particularly shirts that you do not have to pull over the head.
How is Fat Grafting Performed on The Breast?
On the day of the surgery, the surgeon and their team will start by marking the areas of the body from where fat is to be extracted and placed. Once this is done, the doctor starts by first taking out fats from one or multiple locations of the body. These locations are selected on the basis of the amount of excess fat available. Common areas from which fat may be extracted for breast augmentation include:
- The upper arms
- Outer areas of the Thighs
- Love handles
- Inner areas of the thighs
What Can I Expect From The Procedure?
You may expect your breast to go up by at least one size after the procedure. During the recovery period, you may also encounter some swelling and bruising. However, they may be resolved in a few weeks.
Will The Results of Fat Grafting Be Permanent?
Unlike breast implants that require revision surgery every 15 years, the results of fat grafting for breast augmentation are long-lasting.
Who Are the Suitable Candidates for the Procedure?
An individual may be considered a good candidate for Breast augmentation with fat grafting if they are:
- Over the age of 21 years
- Having excess body fat at other locations of their body that may be transferred to the breast
- Have realistic expectations about the results of the breast augmentation procedure
- Currently in good health and not undergoing treatment for breast cancer
- Not currently pregnant
- Not currently breastfeeding their baby
- Not having a history of previous breast implant complications or failure
- Not habitual smokers or are willing to give up smoking before their fat transfer procedure
Your suitability as a candidate for Breast augmentation with the fat transfer will most probably determine during the initial consultation visit. The doctor will assess your health and medical history and discuss what you desire to achieve from the procedure. This will help them determine if this procedure is your best choice.
Fat Grafting Side Effects
While the side effects of breast augmentation with fat transfer are less than those seen with other breast augmentation procedures. This is due to the implantation of the body’s own tissue, which is more easily accepted. However, some individuals may report complications like:
- Placement of too much fat
- Placement of too little fat
- Formation of lumps
These complications may be prevented by using the right techniques, conducting the procedure in a sanitary environment and using the correct pre and post-operative guidelines by an experienced surgeon.
What is The Procedure’s Recovery Like?
The recovery from Breast augmentation with fat grafting depends on a number of factors: the number of sites of the body through which the fat was extracted. The lesser the sites of fat extraction, the faster the recovery will be. Patients who have undergone the surgery report swelling and bruising on the fat extraction sites, which lasts for a few days. Some patients may also feel some swelling in their breasts; however, a majority report no pain.
The downtime for Breast augmentation by fat grafting is around 2-3 days. A majority of the patients are able to return back to their workplaces within a week. In order to promote a smoother recovery, you may also indulge in walking or light exercises. While slow walking can be started from the next day of the surgery, light exercises should be continued after at least ten days.
Breast Augmentation using fat grafting has become one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the past few years. It is considered by many as the natural alternative to silicone implants and offers a more customised look due to greater control over the amount of fat tissue transferred. The extraction of fat from a site of the patient’s body not only makes this transfer more accepted by the body but also allows fat removal from areas with excessive fat.
This allows the procedure to offer not one but two benefits for those hoping for a leaner body with a bigger breast size. However, in order to prevent the possible risks and complications associated with the procedure, it is important to choose the right surgeon. You may also want to discuss your expectation with the doctor beforehand and allow them to explain the details of the procedure to allow optimal results!
About Dream Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery
Bespoke surgical for cosmetic or medical reasons is what Dream covers to bring out the beauty in every individual. Going beyond the aesthetics and working on physical anomalies are what we value the most in leading our patients to cherish self-improvement and confident lifestyles.
Derived from Associate Professor Vincent Yeow’s long-standing experience performing plastic surgery in Singapore, our treatment plans deliver physical remodelling in our patients’ favour. One of the notable remodellings is droopy eyelid correction. The ptosis surgery used for treatment eventually fixes drooping eyelids, improves vision and enhances appearance.
Most importantly, as a trustworthy plastic surgery and aesthetic clinic, we treasure positive and natural outcomes for each individual. We will ensure to deliver the beauty refinement of your dream without compromising your safety and privacy.